Wednesday, April 27, 2011

baby board books

Kelly is now a reader for sure!

We were just watching Shark Men (our favorite new show -- they tag and release Great Whites!) and they were showing a map of where the sharks were traveling.

Kelly yells out, "They went all the way to Hawaii!"
I'm all, "Yes, they did" -- then I realized she read that!

We have not really even worked with her on reading skills, other than giving her books and answering the never ending question of "How do you spell that?" (which goes along with the constant telling of addition facts up to 10....)
Oh, and all the kids love to read to each other, which I am sure helped her.

They were just picking a story to read to Mikey and it occurred to me that he doesn't have a
favorite yet --

Paige's favorite book as a toddler was Moo, Baa, La La La
by Sandra Boynton
Moo, Baa, La La La (Boynton)
She had it memorized when she was around two years old. It was the funniest thing, she'd hold it and say all the words very clearly and it looked like she was reading it. Too cute!
There is an app for the iPhone/Touch that reads it to you and you can touch it to make all the animal sounds. Mikey can't really do it all by himself, he hasn't mastered 'turning' the page, so Paige does it with him.

DJ's favorite was Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
by Bill Martin Jr/Eric Carle
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
I cannot even come close to guessing how many times Paige and I both read this to him...
He LOVED that book!
When we turned the page to the picture of the Green Frog, DJ would yell, "Watch Out!" every single time we read this story!
I don't know why, but he did it every time.

Makes me think about him back then...
DJ was such a cute little guy ~
He looked just like a little man!




Kelly has always had a strong personality.
(yes, that is what we call it)
I had all these wonderful books for her that I saved from Paige and DJ. All in pretty good condition too. They were never chewed on or colored on, and then Miss K came along and she loved destroying all the baby board books. {sigh} She'd peel the corners and rip them to shred.  Drove me nuts.
Her favorite book was Snuggle Puppy!
by Sandra Boynton
Snuggle Puppy! (Boynton on Board)
(I like Sandra Boynton)
I still sing her the song from it. I'd like to read this one and even Moo, Baa, La La La to Mikey, but
Destructo Baby got to them.

Mikey does like his Trucks book. He gets it out of the basket and sits and 'reads' it himself. Maybe it's the size or the colors, or because he can slide the tabs. It just doesn't have a story.
Slide and Find - Trucks I guess maybe I can count it as his favorite for now.


*all the book covers are linked to good reads

1 comment:

aimee said...

Hi there I am a new follower from the Versatile Blogger award. Those are great books to read. My baby loves it when I read to him. http://aimee-girltalk.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...