Tuesday, May 24, 2011

the potty

Is it too soon to potty train?

The girls were around two years old when they were potty trained. Kelly a little older than Paige I think. Paige was easy. I let her go bare bottom in dresses and gave her an m&m when she went. She was in a night time diaper for a long time though. Mainly because she was scared to get up at night by herself.

I tried with DJ when he was about 2 1/2 and he just didn't get it, so I put him back in diapers and tried again after his 3rd birthday. Big difference! He was going in the potty right away, even at night and it took less than a week!

Mikey will be 20 months old on the 5th of June. He has always had an amazing bladder. I mean, he never has pee leaks. Never. I know diapers are probably more absorbent than they were 10 years ago, but this kid wakes up in the morning with a dry diaper. Always has. It still floors me.
This morning, after taking off his PJ's himself -- yes, he is in the 'let's be naked all the time' phase -- he asked for help taking off his diaper.
After I helped him, he walked off the rug and over to the hardwood floor, sort of squatted down and peed. Not a lot, he never pees a lot. But he has never done anything like this before.
So then I let him run naked for a bit, and after I have judged that it is close to time for him to maybe need to go again (he is the 4th one you know) I call him over and show him a diaper.
He squats down again and pees --

Is this an early sign of being ready, or am I just fooling myself? I don't mind changing diapers, he doesn't even go through that many. I just would hate to miss a window of opportunity.

I know I threw out Kelly's chair even though she never used it much. She liked those seats that go on the toilet. I'd have to get a new one, but do I wait until we are back from our trip to Legoland?
I am not sure yet, but Mike is ALL excited to try. Not that Mike changes diapers or anything (it's fine, we have a deal) but I know he is waiting for me to let him treat Mikey like a Big Boy and not insist that he is still a Baby, and this would be a giant step in that direction.

Someday he may realize that Mikey will always be my Baby ~

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...